Saturday, August 20, 2011

Author Interview with Scarlett Sanderson


X- Tell us about your most current release and what inspired you to write it?



S- Hotel Decadence is a short erotic tale about a Dominant and submissive. Gillian receives a glossy black card from her lover. Written on the card is one short sentence: “Hotel Decadence. 2pm. Pack an overnight bag. Don't be late." The story is about what happens when Gillian obeys her Dominant’s command.

I’ve always been fascinated by BDSM and the power play involved in a D/s relationship. Hotel Decadence stems from that fascination.

X- When did you start writing and what was your road to publication like? Do you have any advice for new writers starting out?

S- As clichéd as it sounds, I’ve always been a writer. I’ve been writing professionally for six years. I can’t believe it’s been that long! My road to publication was fairly simple. I had it easier than a lot of authors. I saw The Wild Rose Press had just opened their doors and were looking for submissions. I’d recently finished writing a Christmas story and sent it in for consideration. Within a few weeks, I had my first contract. Over the next few years I wrote three more books for Wild Rose and one for Phaze. Then for a few years, writing took a back seat. I acquired my rights back from The Wild Rose Press and have recently been contracted with Ellora’s Cave.

Although the road to publication was easy for me, the journey since has been a rollercoaster.

To all new writers I would say learn your craft and write what you love, but more importantly learn the business. If you want to write professionally you need to treat it as a business venture. I didn’t understand that until a few years ago and it’s started to make things a lot easier. Being published doesn’t make things easier, you still have to work your butt off.



X- What other things interest you besides writing?

S- History. Besides writing (and reading!), history is my biggest passion. Oh, and Man vs Food. I adore that tv show.

X- What are you currently reading and what books can be found in your to-be-read pile?

S- I’m currently reading two things. Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill - I love her Chicagoland Vampire series. Not too serious and perfect for a bit of escapism. I’m also reading The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter.

My TBR pile is HUGE. I can’t stress how large it is! I’ll try and name a few books: Patience by Lisa Valdez, Smokin’ Seventeen by Janet Evanovich, A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin, and The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly.

X- If you could relive one moment in time, which one would it be?

S- Any moment in the Tudor period of history. I’m a bit of a Tudor addict and would love to have lived during that period.

X- Name one item you cannot do without in life and why.

S- Hmmm, difficult one. I would have to say my iPhone. I swore I would never get one and if I did I would NOT be one of those people who is constantly flicking through various apps or web pages.

It’s sad to say I am now one of those people.

X- What’s your favourite flower?

S- I adore lilies.

X- What’s your ultimate indulgence?

S- Champagne. I’m a sucker for the bubbly stuff.

X- What can we expect to see from you in the future?
S- Hotel Decadence is available to purchase now from Amazon US and UK.
I have a BDSM novella that has just been contracted with Ellora’s Cave called Beg Me. Unfortunately there is no release date as of yet. But keep checking my blog for updates.

Right now I’m working on a vampire cowboy space opera, and a D/s lite novel involving cupcakes and an ex-marine who bakes.

Blogspot: http://scarlettsanderson.blogspot.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Author_Scarlett

Email: scarlettsanderson at yahoo dot com

X- Thank you for allowing me to interview you. I wish you the best of luck with your writing career.





No comments:

Post a Comment