Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Author Interview with Julia Knight

Thanks Julia for allowing me to interview you.

V- What was you journey into publication like, and where do you get your inspiration?

J- A learning curve! I was only really playing around, with my friends reading my MS. One of them kept pushing for me to take it seriously, so I thought I’d give it a shot. I was very lucky – I sold that book 8 months later.

Inspiration comes from everywhere – other books, films, people I know. Even dreams on occasion. It all sort of melts together in my head and comes out twisted.

V- What’s your most current release and what can we expect to see from you in the near future?

J- Ten Ruby Trick is my latest release: It’s a fantasy pirate caper with a splosh of romance. Pirates of the Caribbean with added creepy wizards. Here’s the blurb:

'Privateer Van Gast thrills in capturing treasure; delights in pulling off elaborate scams; and has an outrageous reputation with the ladies. But there is only one woman for him: fellow privateer Josie—seductive, brave and unpredictable. He's hoping to make their relationship permanent, until he raids the wrong ship. Now slavers are stalking him, his crew is verging on mutiny and Josie has disappeared.

When she reappears with a new mark wanting Van Gast's help running the ten ruby trick con, he senses trouble. It seems like Josie has joined up with mage-bound slavers to turn him over to their Master. Van Gast is about to take the biggest risk of all—and find out the true meaning of trust and betrayal.'



As for what’s coming up, I haven’t signed the contract yet so I can’t say specifics. Let’s just say I see Vikings in my near future :D

V- What words of wisdom do you have for writers just starting their journey?

J- Perseverance. Keep going, keep trying new things, always reach for more.

V- Self-publishing has come up so often lately in the media both online and off, what’s your views?

J- I think if you go into it right, with the right reasons and you’re prepared to work REALLY hard at promo etc, pay to get editing and a decent cover, sure, why not. I doubt I’ll go that route, but it’s been successful for some, and that’s great. Whatever gets people reading is great.

V- If I were to look at the current books you’re reading, which titles would I find?

J- Currently reading The White Raven by Robert Low (historical Vikings, third in the series. I love the marriage of realism, evocation of the time and the lyrical prose. Note it is definitely not for the squeamish!). I tend to flit between historical, SF, fantasy and literary. Next up is Diane Dooley’s Blue Galaxy.

V- What’s the one thing in the world that you cannot live without?

J- My laptop. My handwriting is so hideous, I have to type my stories!

V- If you could have one wish, what would it be and why?

J- I wish I started writing earlier – I didn’t even begin to dabble till I was well into my thirties.

V- Where do you see yourself ten years from now?

J- Hunched over my PC writing.

V- Again, thanks for doing this interview.

Julia can be reached on the Internet at the following places:

Website

Twitter: @Knight_Julia


1 comment: