Saturday, February 18, 2012

Author Interview With Tory Michaels


X- What got you started on your writing path?

T- Too many stories in my head. I had my really really dreadful novel, appropriately titled Obsession, that I wrote when I was 15, queried it to one publisher, and then tossed it. Part of me regrets it, part of me is glad because I don’t know if I could stomach looking at it after all this time, though I still remember the basic story pretty well. Now that I (theoretically) know how to write, maybe I’ll do it over. I did a lot of role-playing games online (either in chat rooms or through computer games, which is actually how I met my husband), and my characters/worlds were always talking to me and encouraging my creativity. Eventually, after a long hiatus after getting married, I came back to writing and have been pecking at it every since.

X- What's your latest release and what inspired you to write it?

T- My latest (first) release is Blood Rage on February 8. There was a combination of things that led me to write it. 1) The main characters had come back with a vengeance after being quiet in my head for 5 years and wouldn’t leave me alone. 2) I was sick of the vampires I was reading about (either angsty a la Angel or evil a la Spike/Dracula), and saw no reason why vampires couldn’t be just like (relatively) normal people going about their lives. 3) I was involved in a Master’s Degree in Public Administration which gave me insight into the bureaucracy of the US government and figured, if vamps (and other non-humans) were openly members of society, wouldn’t it make sense that they would have their own government agency to meet their specific needs (such as licensing magic users & magic shops, running a system of blood banks for the vamps, etc.)? And thus the Bureau of Non-Human Affairs (part of Health and Human Services) was born.

X- List three of your favourite things.

T- My husband/children (sorry, they’re all sorta one unit, and despite my ongoing grumbles, I love ‘em all), my Nook, and chocolate (preferably Lindor).

X- What's one thing most people don't know about you?

T- Hrmmmmm. I’m pretty open about m’self so I don’t know if I have a lot of secrets. I used to play 6 instruments (not at once, obviously, but I knew how): piano, organ, flute, clarinet, oboe, and bassoon.


X- What's next for Tory Michaels?

T- Blood-Mage Rising comes out (I hope) next month and I’ve got other ideas floating around. Now if they’d just solidify into something usable, I’d be a lot happier. I’ve got a futuristic series in mind, which is a spin-off of the Dream-Walker War.

X- Where can readers reach you on the Internet?

T-
www.torymichaels.com – Website/blog
www.facebook.com/authortorymichaels - Facebook personal profile
www.facebook.com/thedreamwalkerwar - Facebook Dream-Walker War series page
Twitter: @torymichaels
I’m on Goodreads too, though I haven’t gotten the author page up and running as of the writing of this, since Blood Rage isn’t out yet.

X- Great! Thanks for taking the time for this interview. It was great having you on Write Outside The Box.



No comments:

Post a Comment