Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Money Side of One Author's Journey

Many authors are hesitant to discuss the financial side of the writing business, myself included. I thought about writing this post for a bit and decided to go ahead, and give a glimpse into how much I've made throughout the last year since I started writing seriously.

The first six months saw very little. My first few statements were mainly from publisher's sites and I learned that it takes a good amount of time before the third party sites pay up which is where most of the sales come from. I didn't know this previously and for anyone who thinks the money is instant, it isn't!

Some of my publishers sell better than others. I've had one novella tank(Sweet Romance) and while it's a fav of mine it just didn't sell. I've had two others that have done okay and the rest have done quite well to date. My self-published stuff has also sold well and I hope to continue with that as a side venture too.

I won't get into specific amounts earned, but I am making a decent second income from writing. Could I live alone from what I'm making at this time? Certainly not. At this time I still have to work my day job. Maybe in a year that might change.

I'd also like to note that I do a heck of a lot of promotion on my own. I have no doubt that this has helped my sales. It's not easy work. It takes a lot of time and effort. In the e book romance and erotica business you have to do your best to get noticed. In a market that's flooded it isn't an easy task!

Writing Updates:

-Awaiting on one sub MMF
-Awaiting edits on book two in The Men of Buckshot Ranch series from Total-E-Bound
-Awaiting edits on my Christmas antho story from Evernight Publishing
-Completing a couple of shorts for Iron Rose Press

It's been busy here in the writing cave, but I'd have it no other way :)






1 comment:

  1. You're doing well, sweetie!

    You put my royalty statements to shame. :P

    <3

    Adam

    ReplyDelete