Thursday, May 31, 2012

Chatting with Shyla Colt


XD- You have a new release coming out. What's it about?



S- It’s called Lessons from the Professor, and it’s all about facing your fears, getting over your past hurts, and being brave enough to face your future.

Professor Sidney Rothman is no stranger to heart ache at the hands of a younger woman. So when he meets the alluring Sutton he’s wary. Her pension for submissive behavior, coupled with their undeniable attraction over-powers his doubt, and he takes her on as his submissive in training. What he didn’t’ account for was the effect she’d have on his emotions.

Sutton Atkins is a woman who thrives on pressure. She’s spent the past few years setting her emotions aside to accomplish her career goals and tend to her family. The habit has begun to catch up with her now as she sees her lonely her life and her bed are. Sidney seems like the answer to all her problems, until he introduces her to the world of BDSM. The lifestyle sets of a reaction in her she didn’t expect. Good girls didn’t beg to be spanked , did they?

Can Sutton embrace the lessons from her professor, or will she loose out on love?

XD- What inspries you most to write and how do you come up with your ideas?

S- Oh wow, they come from every where really. At times its visual, I see a picture , or an image of a person and a tale weaved itself into being. Other times it’s a real life situation that makes me say “What If” , or even an event that’s happened in my own life. Writing can be very therapeutic that way. Those quotes about being nice to your author friends or you’ll end up in their book aren’t necessarily a joke, lol.

XD- What are you currently working on?

S- Right now I’m working on a Paranormal Romance with a bit of a horror angle. I am very excited to finish it and share my twisted vision.


XD- What trends do you see in romance? Are you a trend setter or a follower?

S- Well I’d say vampires were hot, but I think we’re phasing out of that and moving on to angels. I personally am not a follower. I never have been. If you asked my mother she’d tell you she was never worried about me following the crowd. It was when I actually wanted to do something. I have to write what I love and care about, and if that means going against the grain so be it. My characters reveal themselves to me and their stories, and if I don’t listen it gums up the writing flow.

I really don’t think I’m a trend setter. I just do my own thing, and hope the readers will like what I’ve created.

XD- What advice would you give to budding authors starting out?

S- Write every day, learn as much as you can, and never give up. The road to being published can be rocky but if you keep at it , and take the advice you get along the way you’ll eventually reach your goal. Also, betas you trust are a must. Sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eyes to catch the things you might have missed.


XD- What's on the agenda for you in the next year?

S- Oh wow. I have a personal goal of cracking 30 k and up, so be on the look out for some longer pieces. Also for those of you who’ve been patientlyn waiting for the next installment of The Wanting, it is in the works. I’d like to get that one out next year, if not earlier.


Links: Http://www.shylacoltsstraightshot.wordperss.com   Twitter: @shylacolt 

No comments:

Post a Comment