Friday, June 3, 2011

Author Interview with Karyn Gerrard

V- What was your journey into publication like, and where do you get your inspiration?

K- It was a quick journey, maybe too quick! Timeless Heart was the first novella I ever submitted to e-book publishers and Evernight offered me a contract almost immediately. A lot of luck there, as luck plays a big part in getting published.

Considering I am a voracious reader, I only started reading romance in a big way about 4 years ago, My first effort and only other submission, a historical romance, was rejected by a print publisher 3 years ago, but I kept writing! Glad I did.

I am inspired everyday by every romance writer I come in contact with, what a generous, support group. Romance readers are the best as well, inspires me to keep writing.

V- What’s your most current release and what can we expect to see from you in the near future?


K- My current release is my only release at the moment, TIMELESS HEART ♥. I am working on a couple of erotica/paranormal novellas which I just finished yesterday! Now comes the editing. Crossing fingers I am not just a one-pubbed wonder.

V- What words of wisdom do you have for writers just starting their journey?

K- What I said above, keep writing. And submit your work, you never know when a story may just be that story an editor is looking for at that particular moment. Hence the luck I mentioned. Writing can be very solitary, I encourage finding like minded people and connect, whether on Facebook, Twitter, writing forums, blogs or where ever you feel comfortable at. I met some wonderful people who stepped up to the plate to help promote my debut effort, and in other ways to numerous to mention. Get your name out there before you even submit, believe me, it will pay off.

V- Self-publishing has come up so often lately in the media both online and off, what’s your views?

K- Since I am basically a lazy cow, I can't see me ever self-pubbing. Too much work. That may change down the road, but for now? No. I have tons of admiration for anyone going this route, it is a lot of work, and it is really the only reason I am not interested. Yep, lazy.

The view on self-pubbing has changed, it used to be called vanity publishing when you spent big dollars of your own to have a book printed, but thanks to digital, that has all changed. It is certainly made the field more competitive, and that is a good thing. If it gets people reading AND buying more books, either print or digital, it is all to the good.

V- If I were to look at the current books you’re reading, which titles would I find?

K- I am reading a few ARCS for reviews. I love historical romance. I'm reading Jennifer Haymore's Confessions of an Improper Bride. So far, loving it! Also love paranormals, have Kerrelyn Sparks' Vampire Mine next in the TBR pile.

V- What’s the one thing in the world that you cannot live without?

K- My satellite dish, so I can see every Red Sox game! Also my Ipod touch, you would have to pry that out of my cold dead hand!

V- If you could have one wish, what would it be and why?

K- Wow, I could give the standard 'world peace' answer, but I will be more selfish. Good health and long life for me, and all my loved ones.

V- Where do you see yourself ten years from now?

K- Still writing, still watching the Red Sox, and hopefully still content with my life.

Thanks everyone who has been so supportive for my debut effort! It is really, really appreciated
V- Sounds great! And thank you, Karyn, for allowing me to interview and learn more about your writing career.

Karyn can be found online at the following links:

Website
Review Site

No comments:

Post a Comment